Thursday 20 November 2014

Matthew Kenney Online - Weekend Intensives - Everyday Express

M.A.K.E. - Weekend - Everyday Express

I would love to attend the M.A.K.E. raw food school in California but I can't see it happening. Certainly not anytime soon. Not sure when I first discovered they have a distance learning school but I was keen to try it.
Almond milk

Not going to lie, I had reservations about this course. I've studied on-line before. Done a few journalism courses as well as Internet marketing and web design which tend to be more academic. Making food is definitely a practical skill. I wondered how they would get it right.
Fruit tea and Cape Goosberry smoothie

My other concern was dealing with an academy so far away in a different time zone. To make it easier I did the Weekend Intensive Everyday Raw Express course. It's a Saturday and Sunday course and costs $150.
Zucchini Tartare

I contacted Matthew Kenney's school and they came back pronto with an application form. Gave them my details, they phoned from the USA to check one or two things and just like that I was booked into the November course. Also contacted them a bit in advance as I was going to be in Europe and wanted to buy any perculiar ingredients from either Marqt in Amsterdam or the Wholefood Store in London. I've never found Irish Moss in South Africa. But apart from different names for foods i.e. cilantro for coriander and jalapeno for a large green chili there was nothing weird on the list.
Moroccan Carrot and Golden Rainsin Relish

I LOVE how we can be scattered all over the world but in one class together. The teacher was in Goa, one student was in Amsterdam and the other in the USA - good spread of continents. I would have loved to share a screenshot but the rules say no reproducing of MK material so I won't even think about it.
Chia Pudding

A week before the teacher contacts you with a list of things to buy. Then the day before you get a link to the on-line academy and a password. Once in, you are given prep work to do on the Friday. Stuff like soaking almonds and freezing bananas.

Saturday morning arrives and you find out what you are doing for that day only. Sunday's work only becomes live on Sunday. That's the only criticism I have of this course. It would have been really helpful to preview the recipes so I could adapt them to local produce. I'm not entirely new to raw food. We had to make a zucchini pasta but we only get baby marrows in SA which are too small to spiralise. I substituted with a daikon and the radish flavour of the daikon was too strong.
Apple Almond Spice Smoothie

Now on to the praise. Matthew Kenney is a Michelin Star chef and his team take the gourmet aspect of their food seriously. The recipes are well thought out and really tasty. The Everday Raw Express course does not require a dehydrator. It's entry level raw and fuss free food for every day life. I got to work with Chia and Wakame which I had been wanting to do but somehow never did. I used a herb tea in a smoothie. And frozen apples instead of bananas in a smoothie. Also good. Everything was really tasty except my radish noodles.
Seaweed Salad

I made: - Almond Milk, Hibiscus Berry Smoothie, Zucchini Tartare, Moroccan Carrot Soup with Golden Raisin Relish, Chia Pudding, Apple Almond Spice Smoothie, Seaweed Salad with Orange Tahini Dressing, Zucchini Noodles with Corn Mint Pesto and a Lemon Bavorois with Raspberry Syrup. You read the text, watch a video and then take pics as you make the food. Your teacher is available on-line if you have any questions. They grade you on your final work and your answers to some easy questions.
Daikon Noodles with Corn Mint Pesto

I had to choose between two soups, the other was Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho with Basil Sortbet. So that is a bonus recipe. I like bonuses. You get until the following Friday to complete the course should you run late. And then that's it. Time up.
Lemon Bavorois with Raspberry Syrup

Having done this course I will definitely go on to do the other Weekend Intensive courses which are Detoxing, Deserts and Superfoods. Hopefully I can do the Level 1 and Level 2 Raw Food courses. They also have courses on sports nutrition, food photography, juicing to name a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment